Snake River Brewers - A Homebrew Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho
Snake River Brewers
A Homebrewing Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho.
News: Yearly Dues have been set at $25.00. Pay with PayPal! 2017 dues are due in January, don't forget.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2018, 11:46:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie still using extract  (Read 2245 times)
FuManQ
Yeast Culture

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »

I did read the other (2) posts. I would have to agree that it is pretty lonely here in the extract area. Well i am only on my third batch of beer. And i am still using extract. Or at least partial extract. I am just about to bottle a belgian white. Which is a 1/2 extract and 1/2 grain. First time with the grain. It went pretty smooth. For right now i am still a fan of the extract. It still makes a pretty good beer.
jimmy
Carboy Bung Sniffer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »

I make some beer with a hybrid type of boil.  Doing a full wort boil but using DME as the principle extract in the wort.  Using  extract does not necessarily make a lower quality beer it cuts your options down a lot.
Nikobrew
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 12:23:58 PM »

Word. If you had a simple extract recipe and did the equivelant with AG I'd be impressed if someone could tell the difference. The biggest thing I like about AG is that you can use varying amounts of so many types of grain, whereas extract is more limited in that sense. There's still a lot of experimentation you can do with extract and you dont have to (get to?) take up a bunch of space of equipment.. thats part of the fun though Tongue Oh, and the time thing.

-Niko-

"Samsonite.. I was WAY off! " - Lloyd Christmas

http://www.nikobrew.com
New lower prices on hops!
BroncoBob
Brewing Since 1996
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »

No problem doing extract and partial grain brewing.  Like others have said, it just limits your options.  I did Partial Grain brewing for 13 years before I started all grain brewing.  I did not intend to move to 100% all grain brewing, but I go hooked.  It is hard to stay in the same spot in the brewing process.

Welcome aboard....come the meetings where you will gain much brewing information...

Homebrewers Creed:

Relax, Don't Worry, Have Another HomeBrew!
altered states
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 01:58:35 PM »

Just keep making beer. I did about 25 extract/steeping grain or partial mash batches before I did all grain beers.  As long as you make drinkable beer, it's all good.   Grin

And there are lots of folks here to help you if/when you want to do something different. 

"We are monkeys with guns and money." -- Tom Waits

"I want a government so small it’s theorized about by particle physicists."
-- Davi Barker (via moralanarchism)
J
Prez
Club Officer
I gots no Life

AKA: Jeremy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »

Welcome FuManQ!  Most all of us have done or occasionally will do extract!  Makes for a short brewday. 

The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.
-Sir John Harvey Jones

"cum mula peperit"

Slow down and BREW!
Wort
Club Member
I gots no Life

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »

After 6-7 years of brewing, I still mainly do extract. I took second in the Ale division at the South Western ID state fair with a Belgian Dubbel using extract with grain. Just do what you enjoy, both AG and Extract make good brews.

Prost!

Whoever makes a poor beer is transferred to the dung-hill. -- Edict, City of Danzig, 11th Century

Part of me say’s “I can’t keep drinking like this”. The other part of me say’s, “Don’t listen to that guy. He’s drunk”
FuManQ
Yeast Culture

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 01:26:28 PM »

Thanks for all the good words here. I will have to say that All Grain does sound interesting. But i am pretty happy with what i have done so far with extract. I think that i still have some methods and tricks to learn before heading off to the bigger leagues. I got started with a brew party a couple of guys at work were having. Now im hooked. Just bottled my 3rd batch. Just about ready to brew another soon. I tried an mild english ale at the Nampa Brewers Center that was darn tasty. It might be my next batch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: