Snake River Brewers - A Homebrew Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho
Snake River Brewers
A Homebrewing Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho.
News: Yearly Dues have been set at $25.00. Pay with PayPal! 2017 dues are due in January, don't forget.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2018, 07:22:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brewing my second batch  (Read 2297 times)
jreynold14
Yeast Culture

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2009, 06:07:54 PM »

Hello everyone,

I bought my brew kit about 2 months at the Nampa Brewers store, and made my first batch of pale ale about a month ago.  I finally have it bottled, and it tastes pretty good.  I just started checking out this site, and there is some great info on here. 

I did a malt extract and steeping grain recipe, and I am pretty happy with the results.  I would eventually like to get into all grain brewing, but I think that may be out of my league to try just yet.

Does anyboy have any advice on a good beer to try for a second batch?  I was thinking about a pumpkin ale, but if anybody has any good advice on which route I should go, it would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks
rob
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 06:27:57 PM »

Glad to meet you! I recommend picking up brewing classic styles book if you want to brew great extract, mini mash or all grain. Sorry, I don't have an answer on an extract pumpkin ale recipe...
Bob_Boblaw
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »

JRod has a recipe for a Pumpkin Porter. Could be done extract or PM or all grain. The conversions are out there.
Welcome to the board too.

I think I need an intervention.
altered states
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:42:26 PM »

Welcome to the obsession and this forum.  This is a great place to learn and exchange ideas about brewing.

Keep in mind that spices provide most of the flavor in a pumpkin pie, so a spiced amber ale would work.  Post your recipe idea and you can get some feedback here.   Grin

"We are monkeys with guns and money." -- Tom Waits

"I want a government so small it’s theorized about by particle physicists."
-- Davi Barker (via moralanarchism)
scrubby
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:04:15 PM »

Welcome!

I usually brew what I like to drink. If you want to try a pumpkin ale, give it a shot! Should be some good recipes out there on the internet.

I agree with Rob on Brewing Classic Styles. That is a great book for ideas on what you can brew.
psykobillys
el Presidente
Club Member
Post Master General

der Ganser - Rockin' it Hardcore since 1978

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 08:23:14 PM »

word to all.
ie, welcome, and post a recipe that you maybe find on the internet or wherever. we love to look at recipes and make suggestions.
congrats on your first batch turnin' out tasty!
rock-on!

"Give a man a beer and he'll waste an afternoon. Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime."
-Old Psyko Proverb

I couldn't log into my iPad...then I realized that it was an etch-a-sketch and that I don't have an iPad... Also, I'm out of vodka...
Matt K.
Club Member
Acid Dropper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 06:31:02 AM »

Welcome,

I'd say to stick with extract until you really get the hang of the process and your equipment.  Just remember that improper sanitation is about the only thing that will ruin your beer.

For your second batch you should brew what you like to drink...porter, stout, Belgian, or whatever.  Not sure on what recipe to brew?  Just ask.

If you decide to go with a pumpkin ale, PM me, I have a recipe from an old Zymurgy issue (thats the American Homebrewers Association magazine).

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.
-William Shakespeare
psykobillys
el Presidente
Club Member
Post Master General

der Ganser - Rockin' it Hardcore since 1978

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 07:06:28 AM »

as far as sticking to extract, and all-grain being outta your league, i dunno about that. i've never brewed an extract batch. i understand that all-grain is a little more involved, but i don't think it's really that much more difficult.

"Give a man a beer and he'll waste an afternoon. Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime."
-Old Psyko Proverb

I couldn't log into my iPad...then I realized that it was an etch-a-sketch and that I don't have an iPad... Also, I'm out of vodka...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: