Snake River Brewers - A Homebrew Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho
Snake River Brewers
A Homebrewing Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho.
News: Yearly Dues have been set at $25.00. Pay with PayPal! 2017 dues are due in January, don't forget.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2018, 10:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not much carbonation in bottle .  (Read 2027 times)
calif123
Yeast Culture

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »

First ever brew  All extract . There is a pop when the bottle is opened but no foam and the beer tastes a little flat . I added simple sugar to fermentation bucket before bottling .  Any ideas what I did wrong ?
hjherbenson
Club Member
Acid Dropper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 11:00:55 AM »

How long did it stay in the fermentor? possibly a lot of yeast fell out of solution and it will take longer to carbonate.
What temp did you leave the beer after bottling? 2 weeks @ 65-70deg should be good enough.
What was the gravity fg? some big beers take a little longer.
How much priming sugar did you use?

There is no strong beer.
Only weak men.
J
Prez
Club Officer
I gots no Life

AKA: Jeremy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 11:32:13 AM »

First ever brew  All extract . There is a pop when the bottle is opened but no foam and the beer tastes a little flat . I added simple sugar to fermentation bucket before bottling .  Any ideas what I did wrong ?

Sorry, in order to help identify possible issues we need a little more information. 
How long ago did you bottle?  Where are they stored?  How much sugar did you add and what was the process?

Usually it is not a long enough conditioning time in the bottle after bottling.  Put one in a warm room for 3 days and try again and see what happens.  Most of all, just relax, it is probably fine!

The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.
-Sir John Harvey Jones

"cum mula peperit"

Slow down and BREW!
calif123
Yeast Culture

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:57:51 AM »

After 2 weeks in the bottle I am getting good foam now .  I just need to be more patient . 
Nikobrew
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »

After 2 weeks in the bottle I am getting good foam now .  I just need to be more patient . 

Being a fellow impatient brewer I recommend getting a kegging setup as soon as possible Smiley You will NOT be disappointed.

-Niko-

"Samsonite.. I was WAY off! " - Lloyd Christmas

http://www.nikobrew.com
New lower prices on hops!
J
Prez
Club Officer
I gots no Life

AKA: Jeremy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »

Glad to hear it!  Hard to be patient, however.

The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.
-Sir John Harvey Jones

"cum mula peperit"

Slow down and BREW!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: