Snake River Brewers - A Homebrew Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho
Snake River Brewers
A Homebrewing Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho.
News: Yearly Dues have been set at $25.00. Pay with PayPal! 2017 dues are due in January, don't forget.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2018, 11:40:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottling my first brew.  (Read 3934 times)
Mike
Club Member
Plato Spaghetti

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »

I am brand new to brewing and going to bottle my first batch this morning. A red ale! I am looking forward to learning a lot from you guys. I already have just hanging around here and at the club meetings.

Cheers

Mike

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
 - Dave Berry
mousejockey
Club Member
Trub Muncher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:47:56 AM »

I am brand new to brewing and going to bottle my first batch this morning. A red ale! I am looking forward to learning a lot from you guys. I already have just hanging around here and at the club meetings.

Cheers

Mike

Beer Toast Clap

Give a man a beer, he drinks for 5 minutes
Show him where you keep it, he drinks all day
J-Rod
Plato Spaghetti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:50:35 AM »

Congrats!  It is a noble hobby.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else!
psykobillys
el Presidente
Club Member
Post Master General

der Ganser - Rockin' it Hardcore since 1978

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 10:55:02 AM »

Cheers

Mike
Beer Toast
i'm finally going back to bottling some of my beers. good stuff!

"Give a man a beer and he'll waste an afternoon. Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime."
-Old Psyko Proverb

I couldn't log into my iPad...then I realized that it was an etch-a-sketch and that I don't have an iPad... Also, I'm out of vodka...
J
Prez
Club Officer
I gots no Life

AKA: Jeremy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »

Cheers

Mike

Cheers!

The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.
-Sir John Harvey Jones

"cum mula peperit"

Slow down and BREW!
dale
Club Member
I gots no Life

Packer Owner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »

I was going to brew today, but discovered both of my hoses were outside under the snow.  Maybe they'll be thawed out by tomorrow.  In the mean time, I'm filling a 12-pack of 12oz bottles with the porter I brewed a couple of weeks ago and kegging the rest.  The bottles are for the MoZ and porter competition.  I figure if I have some bottles set aside, I won't accidentally run out just before I need to submit my entries.

In dog beers, I've only had 1.

When in doubt, add more hops.
Mike
Club Member
Plato Spaghetti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 01:51:19 PM »

The bottling went well. I sterilized the bottles in the oven with foil caps for 2 hours at 350 degrees. I think that will work out. I really understand kegging now, it has to be quicker easier, less mess etc.

Mike

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
 - Dave Berry
Nikobrew
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 02:02:40 PM »

Kegging is definitely easier, what I like about bottles is it makes it so much easier to share. If you want any more bottles let me know, I have many cases of them (with labels but they've all been rinsed). You're welcome to them if you like. I just got a bunch from a guy in the club and realized I didn't need THAT many. Have fun and welcome!

-Niko-

"Samsonite.. I was WAY off! " - Lloyd Christmas

http://www.nikobrew.com
New lower prices on hops!
Mike
Club Member
Plato Spaghetti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »

Kegging is definitely easier, what I like about bottles is it makes it so much easier to share. If you want any more bottles let me know, I have many cases of them (with labels but they've all been rinsed). You're welcome to them if you like. I just got a bunch from a guy in the club and realized I didn't need THAT many. Have fun and welcome!

Niko

Yes I could use afew more bottles. Are you going to the next club meeting? If so I could get them from you then.
Thanks!

Mike

- Dave Berry
Nikobrew
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »

Niko

Yes I could use afew more bottles. Are you going to the next club meeting? If so I could get them from you then.
Thanks!

Mike

Absolutely. I'll bring some to the Christmas party, how many would you like?

-Niko-

"Samsonite.. I was WAY off! " - Lloyd Christmas

http://www.nikobrew.com
New lower prices on hops!
SimianBeer
Plato Spaghetti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »

The bottling went well. I sterilized the bottles in the oven with foil caps for 2 hours at 350 degrees. I think that will work out. I really understand kegging now, it has to be quicker easier, less mess etc.

Mike

I pre wash my bottles then come bottling day it's a quick rinse, a soak in sani for a few and then bottling away.  I don't even cover 'em as the sani can take care of anything that may decide that it could live in a clean bottle.  So far I have yet to have an infected batch or bottle.

To my understanding and I could be wrong but, about heating your bottles to such a temp is not good as the heat can weaken them.  Maybe someone knows better than I do.  Either way it's unnecessary as 180 degrees at 15 minutes kills anything that would grow in beer.  There's one thing about brewing I have noticed though, especially when first starting.  There's safe then there's neurotic safe and most people tend to go neurotic safe.

I personally like bottling, as I like bottle conditioned beer better overall.  But that's just my personal tastes.

"Everybody has to believe in something.....I believe I'll have another drink."
-W.C. Fields
psykobillys
el Presidente
Club Member
Post Master General

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 10:03:10 PM »

Either way it's unnecessary as 180 degrees at 15 minutes kills anything that would grow in beer. 
I'm not saying that what you're doing is insufficient, but 180 for 15mins will not kill everything that can grow in beer. It will kill anything actively living, but bacterial spores require higher temp (350 dry at atmospheric, or 250 wet with 15psi). Again, I'm not saying you're gonna get bad beer or end up with colonies of dangerous bacteria, just saying that there is a very large possibility that there are organisms other than yeast in the finished beer.

"Give a man a beer and he'll waste an afternoon. Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime."
-Old Psyko Proverb

I couldn't log into my iPad...then I realized that it was an etch-a-sketch and that I don't have an iPad... Also, I'm out of vodka...
SimianBeer
Plato Spaghetti

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 11:28:11 PM »

Wouldn't just boiling temp (wet) kill em off?  Even 250 seems overkill IMO, but I haven't looked into it too much either.  You guys know a lot more about this stuff than I do.  Anyways I just wash in Oxyclean and sanitize with IOD4 come bottling day.  So far it's worked, but you never know I guess.

"Everybody has to believe in something.....I believe I'll have another drink."
-W.C. Fields
J
Prez
Club Officer
I gots no Life

AKA: Jeremy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »

I believe that Psyko's "Professional" occupation gives him a little more microbiological clout, so to speak.  I tend to listen to him about microbiological things as pretty damn accurate!

The only one with more "Microbiological Clout" is Yermom!

The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.
-Sir John Harvey Jones

"cum mula peperit"

Slow down and BREW!
psykobillys
el Presidente
Club Member
Post Master General

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »

Wouldn't just boiling temp (wet) kill em off?  Even 250 seems overkill IMO, but I haven't looked into it too much either.  You guys know a lot more about this stuff than I do.  Anyways I just wash in Oxyclean and sanitize with IOD4 come bottling day.  So far it's worked, but you never know I guess.
to kill bacterial spores by boiling (100% of them, mind you), you need to use a process called tyndalization (sp?) (aka fractional sterilization). this involves boiling for 30mins, 3 days in a row.
the first boiling kills active bacteria, but not spores.
the second kills active bacteria that came from the remaining spores.
the third is insurance against any late-germinating bacterial spores.
like i said, killing 100% of the organisms isn't necessary, but it is nice if it's easy. imo, cooking in an oven in your leisure is pretty easy and mess-free.  Undecided

I believe that Psyko's "Professional" occupation gives him a little more microbiological clout, so to speak.  I tend to listen to him about microbiological things as pretty damn accurate!
Roll Eyes

-Old Psyko Proverb

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: