Snake River Brewers - A Homebrew Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho
Snake River Brewers
A Homebrewing Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho.
News: Yearly Dues have been set at $25.00. Pay with PayPal! 2017 dues are due in January, don't forget.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2018, 11:54:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DME vs LME  (Read 4125 times)
Nikobrew
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:32:49 AM »

Assume they both cost the same.

Here's what morebeer says on their DME page:

Dried Malt Extract ("DME") is basically Liquid Malt Extract that has undergone an additional step of being spray dried to remove the moisture content. Dried Malt Extract has a longer shelf life than Liquid Malt Extract and is therefore a great source of malt to have around on brew-day in case you fall short of your targeted Starting Gravity. DME is also ideal for making yeast starters.

Excellent beer can be made from both Dried and Liquid Malt Extract. The only thing to keep in mind is that they will differ slightly in their sugar content when diluted weight for weight:
1 pound of Dried Malt Extract dissolved in one gallon of water = 1.045 SG
1 pound of liquid Malt Extract dissolved in one gallon of water = 1.035 SG
For reference: 10 pounds grain to create 6 gal wort, boiled to 5 gal = 1.050 SG (assuming a 70% efficiency).

-------
So longer shelf life can be a plus (it would be for me.. and no not just because I don't brew all that often Tongue ), and the info about DME having a higher ppg is news to me! If I'm counting properly you'd need approx 28% more LME to get the same gravity as with DME! What I'm reading on message boards if you're looking at an LME recipe and  you use DME, you cut the DME by 20%

-Niko-

"Samsonite.. I was WAY off! " - Lloyd Christmas

http://www.nikobrew.com
New lower prices on hops!
rob
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:52:02 AM »

Dme is easier to work with in my opinion
Nikobrew
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:39:35 AM »

Dme is easier to work with in my opinion

The more I read about it the more awesome it sounds.

-Niko-

scottf
Club Member
Carboy Bung Sniffer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 11:28:18 AM »

don't use extract for "brewing" but i do use dme for starters because it is easier to measure 100 grams per Liter for a 1.040ish starter wort.  No spatula required.  Plus I think it keeps much better once the bag has been opened.  If you only use a portion of a LME jar the rest will quickly oxidize and possibly start growing things.
TWC3
Club Member
Plato Spaghetti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 11:38:09 AM »

I will use DME extract when making a starter. I agree with the above the LME would not store as well once opened.

"We won, You lost, Get a Life" - Senator Inhofe (R)
Nikobrew
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »

Yeah storing LME after opened is a pain and it comes in quantities that aren't always what you want. I'm thinking of carrying 1lb, 3lb, etc of DME. After figuring in the cost of containers for 7lb tubs I may as well just get sacks of DME. I know most people in the club are all grain brewers but it also sounds like DME would be really easy to brew a batch with as your base if you just want to whip something up on the stove. I've been reading about people just doing a 60 minute boil for their hop utilization, tossing the DME at flameout even (if using DME that was made from a boil, like breiss). I'm thinking just toss it in with about 15 minutes to go so you still have time for whirlfloc or whatever you use. How simple.

-Niko-

RAWKON
Club Member
Trub Muncher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 02:48:45 PM »

sounds like a plan, I use DME for all of my starter and if I don't have the mash efficentcy i was hoping for. Where did you find the 7 lb bags? I go through a 3lb sack every month!

my only word of caution is be carefull when adding the DME to anything with steam coming out of the top, It gunks up and can become a PITA to clean or to transfer

Recommended by doctors, trusted by women
altered states
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 04:16:33 PM »

my only word of caution is be carefull when adding the DME to anything with steam coming out of the top, It gunks up and can become a PITA to clean or to transfer

For flasks, I add it before you start heating the water.  You have to swirl it some as the water gets warmer, but it will eventually dissolve.

Put the DME in a Pyrex measuring cup or something similar for adding to the boil kettle.  Dump it in and stir - then dunk the cup in the wort to get the remainder. 

"We are monkeys with guns and money." -- Tom Waits

"I want a government so small it’s theorized about by particle physicists."
-- Davi Barker (via moralanarchism)
Nikobrew
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »

sounds like a plan, I use DME for all of my starter and if I don't have the mash efficentcy i was hoping for. Where did you find the 7 lb bags? I go through a 3lb sack every month!

I'm actually going to carry it. Briess. Whatever increments you want. I know 1 and 3 pounds are common. I want folks to be able to get as much or as little as they want though.

-Niko-

scottf
Club Member
Carboy Bung Sniffer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 10:32:23 PM »

I'd also be interested in the 7lb bag if it was less expensive per pound.  A couple of 6 liter starters can really eat through the DME.
BroncoBob
Brewing Since 1996
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »

For flasks, I add it before you start heating the water.  You have to swirl it some as the water gets warmer, but it will eventually dissolve.

Put the DME in a Pyrex measuring cup or something similar for adding to the boil kettle.  Dump it in and stir - then dunk the cup in the wort to get the remainder. 

+1

I always use the cup and dip it to get all the DME....

Homebrewers Creed:

Relax, Don't Worry, Have Another HomeBrew!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: