Snake River Brewers - A Homebrew Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho
Snake River Brewers
A Homebrewing Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho.
News: Yearly Dues have been set at $25.00. Pay with PayPal! 2017 dues are due in January, don't forget.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2018, 11:41:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello! Just brewed my first batch today!!!  (Read 4421 times)
scrubby
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 06:49:34 PM »

Yeah, I don't secondary either. I usually go about 2 to 3 weeks in the primary (for ales) and then transfer to keg. Force carb it for a week or so and serve it up.
mpac
Yeast Culture

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »

Is the secondary only for clarification of the beer?    I like haze!!!

curious to why do you guys skip secondary? sounds easier that way!

TWC3
Club Member
Plato Spaghetti

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »

Keeping the beer on the yeast for 2-3 weeks lets the yeast clean up after itself. Helps prevent off flavors.

"We won, You lost, Get a Life" - Senator Inhofe (R)
psykobillys
el Presidente
Club Member
Post Master General

der Ganser - Rockin' it Hardcore since 1978

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 09:34:03 PM »

Is the secondary only for clarification of the beer?    I like haze!!!

several different reasons to secondary. like twc said, keeping a nice small active yeast population going will help to clean up the beer in many cases.
secondaries are often where dry-hopping is done or where fruits are added.
certainly can aid in clarification (let majority of yeast fall in primary, then another large amount settle in secondary).
sometimes secondaries are a place where a beer can age without the influence of whatever might be in your trub (dead yeast, sunken hops, piles of coagulated proteins...).
it is, in some ways, easier to skip secondary, depending on what you're trying to accomplish - also, one less transfer is one less time you run the risk of contamination.
and cloudy beers are okay sometimes, depends on the style and what you're looking for.  Smiley

that being said, i rarely secondary my beers.  Wink

cheers!
Beer Toast

"Give a man a beer and he'll waste an afternoon. Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime."
-Old Psyko Proverb

I couldn't log into my iPad...then I realized that it was an etch-a-sketch and that I don't have an iPad... Also, I'm out of vodka...
J
Prez
Club Officer
I gots no Life

AKA: Jeremy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 04:32:43 AM »

Is the secondary only for clarification of the beer?    I like haze!!!

I don't feel that a secondary is necessary.  It is one more step that, I feel, has little to no benefit (clarification) and too much risk (oxidation, infection, removal of yeast too soon).  One might say I simply secondary in the final package.  (ie bottles, kegs)  It will sit in them for a week or two before I start consumption and then it may be months before it is consumed.  I leave them in the "primary" for 2 to 6 weeks depending on type and strength.  Lagers and High alcohol beers get more time.  The one caveat to leaving in primary is fermentation temps.  The cooler the better.  If the temp swings up and down more than 4 degrees a day, or gets over about 70F regularly, don't leave it in primary for more than about 3 weeks.  One can get some off flavors that are not terrible but will be noticed.  Lagers I have left on the yeast for 6 weeks with no ill effects. 

The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.
-Sir John Harvey Jones

"cum mula peperit"

Slow down and BREW!
rob
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 06:28:10 AM »

You may decide to use a secondary, but it's one more transfer and an extra fermenter to clean.
I do like most of us do, leave it in primary until terminal gravity is hit, then a few more days. It's all about what you want to do.
Nikobrew
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 07:36:03 AM »

The purpose of a secondary fermentor: More room to get another beer started Smiley

-Niko-

"Samsonite.. I was WAY off! " - Lloyd Christmas

http://www.nikobrew.com
New lower prices on hops!
Nikobrew
Club Member
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 07:37:45 AM »

Or to use as a bottling bucket until you get a keg setup (unless you already have that).

-Niko-

"Samsonite.. I was WAY off! " - Lloyd Christmas

http://www.nikobrew.com
New lower prices on hops!
macabra11
Club Member
I gots no Life

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »

I used to secondary every beer I made... until I got more kegs.  Grin Before, like Niko said, I used it to free up fermentor space and let the beer age. Well now I can primary for 2-3 weeks, keg and set it in my keggerator for as long as I need. The cold helps clear it up much faster than sitting at room temp in a secondary for 2+ weeks. The first couple pints I pull off the keg might be a little hazy, but after that they clear up well. I do agree with Jeremy about letting the beer rest on the yeast for a while after fermentation. It seems to help make a "cleaner" tasting beer in the end... unless you're Gordon and infect it with Brett to get it to go sour as all get out.  Wink
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: