Snake River Brewers - A Homebrew Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho
Snake River Brewers
A Homebrewing Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho.
News: Yearly Dues have been set at $25.00. Pay with PayPal! 2017 dues are due in January, don't forget.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2018, 10:46:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newb extract brew review  (Read 2792 times)
fright101
Carboy Bung Sniffer

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2012, 09:43:47 PM »

Ok, I am on my 6th extract brew from NB- The Caribou Slobber..I have to say, it is quite tasty!
I cannot wait to start formulating my own brews from the LHBS,- Especially, since it is down the road from my work..a little place on Chinden Tongue

Next up is Pliny the Elder from a deal of the day on Morebeer...I can't wait.

And everytime I brew, I think about how much monies I saved...PSHHHHHHHHHHT
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:46:10 PM by fright101 » Logged

Never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot
psykobillys
el Presidente
Club Member
Post Master General

der Ganser - Rockin' it Hardcore since 1978

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:55 AM »

next up is Pliny the Elder from a deal of the day on Morebeer...I can't wait.

And everytime I brew, I think about how much monies I saved...PSHHHHHHHHHHT
mmmmm....Pliny....
Chug

yeah, i figured out a while back that homebrewing isn't the best way to try to save money... but after a while you can brew some cheap beers - especially once you get into buying whole sacks of grain, growing some of your own hops, and reusing yeast.
Beer Toast

"Give a man a beer and he'll waste an afternoon. Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime."
-Old Psyko Proverb

I couldn't log into my iPad...then I realized that it was an etch-a-sketch and that I don't have an iPad... Also, I'm out of vodka...
macabra11
Club Member
I gots no Life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:51:05 AM »

Yeah... "upgrade" to a pump, bigger chiller, dump 20 (maybe 30 - we'll see) gallons of beer down the drain, buy new hoses/water filter, and replace a broken carboy. Then tell me how brewing your own beer is more economical.  Cry Cry Cry It's like people that say they are going to start hunting to save money on meat/food.  Doh!

I brew because it's fun (minus the dumping of infected beer), not because it's cheap. Although, like Gans said, you CAN see a significant savings when buying bulk grain, growing hops, re-using yeast, etc. My cheapest brew was 10 gallons for $12.00!
BroncoBob
Brewing Since 1996
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:13:11 AM »

Yeah... "upgrade" to a pump, bigger chiller, dump 20 (maybe 30 - we'll see) gallons of beer down the drain, buy new hoses/water filter, and replace a broken carboy. Then tell me how brewing your own beer is more economical.  Cry Cry Cry It's like people that say they are going to start hunting to save money on meat/food.  Doh!

I brew because it's fun (minus the dumping of infected beer), not because it's cheap. Although, like Gans said, you CAN see a significant savings when buying bulk grain, growing hops, re-using yeast, etc. My cheapest brew was 10 gallons for $12.00!

Exactly what I tell my father (the extract brewer)...
He kind of makes fun of my 7 hour brew days, when he can brew his in one hour.
And I have at least $1000 invested in my equipment....probably will be closer to $1500 at the end of the year....
But like Ganz said......I buy my grain in bulk, raise my own hops and reuse yeast......
You can never count labor cost in your hobby......
It is a fucking Hobby......

Homebrewers Creed:

Relax, Don't Worry, Have Another HomeBrew!
psykobillys
el Presidente
Club Member
Post Master General

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »

You can never count labor cost in your hobby......
word.
Beer Toast

"Give a man a beer and he'll waste an afternoon. Teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime."
-Old Psyko Proverb

I couldn't log into my iPad...then I realized that it was an etch-a-sketch and that I don't have an iPad... Also, I'm out of vodka...
aa7yy
Club Member
Plato Spaghetti

Don

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »

If I am in a hurry for a beer or need a cheap one, it is 5 minute walk to the Circle K

I'am killing time.

Right now I have about 12 gallons of beer and about 20 days to drink it in. To old to make friends. Gonna hate to pour it out.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger - NHC 2012

The Search For The Perfect Pint Should Last a Lifetime
psykobillys
el Presidente
Club Member
Post Master General

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:40:52 AM »

Right now I have about 12 gallons of beer and about 20 days to drink it in.
GET BUSY!!!

Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink Chug Drink

-Old Psyko Proverb

BroncoBob
Brewing Since 1996
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »

If I am in a hurry for a beer or need a cheap one, it is 5 minute walk to the Circle K

I'am killing time.

Right now I have about 12 gallons of beer and about 20 days to drink it in. To old to make friends. Gonna hate to pour it out.

Pace yourself....You CAN Do It!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrewers Creed:

Relax, Don't Worry, Have Another HomeBrew!
altered states
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 03:02:38 PM »

Let's see if I got this right.

You have 12 gallons of beer and you can't find/make a friend? Shrug Scratch Head

"We are monkeys with guns and money." -- Tom Waits

"I want a government so small it’s theorized about by particle physicists."
-- Davi Barker (via moralanarchism)
aa7yy
Club Member
Plato Spaghetti

Don

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »

You have 12 gallons of beer and you can't find/make a friend? Shrug Scratch Head

Yea Steve, pretty sad. In this post, reply #3  http://snakeriverbrewers.org/index.php?topic=4093.0 I purchase a 6-pack of Moose Drool an ask for some feed back. I can understand the lack of feedback, BUT IT IS FREE BEER ! The guys at Brewforia keep trying to ship it to me for $15. I keep thinking it's my bubbling personality, my wife thinks it's cuz "I am full of $shit".

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger - NHC 2012

The Search For The Perfect Pint Should Last a Lifetime
fright101
Carboy Bung Sniffer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 04:52:29 PM »

Well shit...It seems like I am hanging around the wrong people if youse guys have multi-gallons of beer that you cannot get rid of or find someone to help you with your "problem". I am just the opposite..Too many friends that I..ME provide beer for and I can't make it or buy it fast enuff! I am just a poooor n00b extract brewer who would like to have a beer when I want one. 20 gallons in the last 1.5 months brewed and my keg is about half gone and nothing in the fermenter yet...(although I do have 6 kits not doing anything...yet)

Oh...yeah..I built them a keezer..Bought everything except the chest freezer..even bought them a beginner brew kit last week and 2 kits to go with it..They have my 10 gallon pot and alot of my brewing goodies, but have yet to make the second batch that I bought them.

I guess I will enjoy this Caribou Slobber whilst it lasts....

alms for the thirsty?!?!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:56:05 PM by fright101 » Logged

Never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot
altered states
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »

Yea Steve, pretty sad. In this post, reply #3  http://snakeriverbrewers.org/index.php?topic=4093.0 I purchase a 6-pack of Moose Drool an ask for some feed back. I can understand the lack of feedback, BUT IT IS FREE BEER ! The guys at Brewforia keep trying to ship it to me for $15. I keep thinking it's my bubbling personality, my wife thinks it's cuz "I am full of $shit".

My bad - I have been in Brewforia a couple of times since you posted that and I have forgotten to ask for a Moose Drool.  I'll see if I can help you out next time I'm there. Beer Toast

"We are monkeys with guns and money." -- Tom Waits

"I want a government so small it’s theorized about by particle physicists."
-- Davi Barker (via moralanarchism)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: