Snake River Brewers - A Homebrew Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho
Snake River Brewers
A Homebrewing Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho.
News: Yearly Dues have been set at $25.00. Pay with PayPal! 2017 dues are due in January, don't forget.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2018, 05:19:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plate Chiller Question  (Read 18713 times)
BroncoBob
Brewing Since 1996
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »

Tested my system on Sunday.......Got my water up to about 180 in the HTL.....ran it to the mash tun, then ran it to the Boil Kettle....tested the whirlpool, then ran it thru my plate chiller into the Thrumeter into my carboy.  Very impressed with the chiller as the 180 degree hot water turn to 64 degree water going into my carboy.   I have always had a hard time chilling my wort from the brew kettle.   It was awesome.   Do have a few small leaks to work on.

My Question is how do you clean the chiller?  Do you have to backflush?  I was just planning to run some PWB through all the hoses and ball valves, then some star san.   Do you think that this is sufficient?  Is it important to drain all of the water out of the chiller?

Homebrewers Creed:

Relax, Don't Worry, Have Another HomeBrew!
Steve Dockter
Club Competition Coordinator and Homebrewer of the Year
Club Member
Acid Dropper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »

I usually at least run some PBW then rinse water through my counter flow chiller after I'm done brewing.  Sometimes Star San.  I try to drain as much of the water as I can out.

"Always make new mistakes."
J
Prez
Club Officer
I gots no Life

AKA: Jeremy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:39:47 AM »

What Steve said.  At the end of a brew day.  I typically run hot pbw through forward and then reverse the hoses for awhile to backflush.  Then slightly hotter rinse water with backflush, and then starsan.  I then drain it as best I can.  On brew day, I boil water in my HLT and run that through it before I use it.  I sometimes even follow that with some starsan.  Maybe overkill, maybe not...

The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.
-Sir John Harvey Jones

"cum mula peperit"

Slow down and BREW!
BroncoBob
Brewing Since 1996
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »

What Steve said.  At the end of a brew day.  I typically run hot pbw through forward and then reverse the hoses for awhile to backflush.  Then slightly hotter rinse water with backflush, and then starsan.  I then drain it as best I can.  On brew day, I boil water in my HLT and run that through it before I use it.  I sometimes even follow that with some starsan.  Maybe overkill, maybe not...

The way I plumbed my system....I cannot do a backflush.   I guess I need to get some quick disconnect fittings.  Any advice on economical quick disconnects for 1/2 hoses?

Homebrewers Creed:

dale
Club Member
I gots no Life

Packer Owner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »

That's pretty much the same as what I do. I store it upside down with everything disconnected so it can drain. I've read that some people use compressed air to blow out all the moisture, but I don't have that capability.

In dog beers, I've only had 1.

When in doubt, add more hops.
J
Prez
Club Officer
I gots no Life

AKA: Jeremy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:03:49 AM »

The way I plumbed my system....I cannot do a backflush.   I guess I need to get some quick disconnect fittings.  Any advice on economical quick disconnects for 1/2 hoses?

I have some of these:  http://www.morebeer.com/category/kent-quick-disconnects.html they seem to work fairly well and do not heat up with hot liquid. 

The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.
-Sir John Harvey Jones

"cum mula peperit"

Slow down and BREW!
BroncoBob
Brewing Since 1996
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 02:21:19 PM »

I have some of these:  http://www.morebeer.com/category/kent-quick-disconnects.html they seem to work fairly well and do not heat up with hot liquid. 

Thanks Jeremy for the link....

Homebrewers Creed:

Steve Dockter
Club Competition Coordinator and Homebrewer of the Year
Club Member
Acid Dropper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »

I also bake my counterfill chiller in the oven at 375 deg F for about 90 minutes a couple days before I brew to sanitize it.  CDC has some details.

"Always make new mistakes."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: