Snake River Brewers - A Homebrew Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho
Snake River Brewers
A Homebrewing Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho.
News: Yearly Dues have been set at $25.00. Pay with PayPal! 2017 dues are due in January, don't forget.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2018, 10:47:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final pH?  (Read 3451 times)
dale
Club Member
I gots no Life

Packer Owner

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »

Are any of you tracking final pH of your beer? If so, do you measure before or after carbonating? I've read the final pH should be in the range of 4.2 to 4.5 for most beers. Does that fit with your experience?

In dog beers, I've only had 1.

When in doubt, add more hops.
AtomicWW
Plato Spaghetti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »

Are any of you tracking final pH of your beer? If so, do you measure before or after carbonating? I've read the final pH should be in the range of 4.2 to 4.5 for most beers. Does that fit with your experience?

Hey Dale.  I've never really bothered to measure final pH.  You're right that the pH of finished beer will be slightly acidic.  I suspect that  carbonation does matter since dissolved CO2 introduces carbonic acid into the beer.  I'm not entirely sure if this is the primary pH reducer or if there's another reaction that contributes as well.

Walk tall, kick ass and learn to speak craft beer!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: