Snake River Brewers - A Homebrew Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho
Snake River Brewers
A Homebrewing Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho.
News: Yearly Dues have been set at $25.00. Pay with PayPal! 2017 dues are due in January, don't forget.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2018, 10:24:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottling  (Read 1091 times)
J
Prez
Club Officer
I gots no Life

AKA: Jeremy

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »

I just spent 40 minutes trying to bottle beer out of the keg with a beer gun.  Epic fail!  Anyone have a less frustrating way?

I HATE bottling!

The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.
-Sir John Harvey Jones

"cum mula peperit"

Slow down and BREW!
Matt K.
Club Member
Acid Dropper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »

Use the carb tabs and fill the bottles with flat beer after you keg. 

A cobra tap with a bottle filler plugged into the spout is a cheap and easy filler. Also two valves = less mess.

Yes...you will have sediment, but that is good for anything you plan to cellar. 

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.
-William Shakespeare
macabra11
Club Member
I gots no Life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:14:07 AM »

I hate bottling too. It's messy, wastes beer, and takes a lot of time in cleaning and prepping bottles. I would enter competitions if my beer would magically be bottled!
scrubby
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 07:16:20 AM »

I thought the beergun was the magical easy way to do this. If it sucks, I'm crossing it off my wishlist.  Undecided
macabra11
Club Member
I gots no Life

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 07:25:06 AM »

I thought the beergun was the magical easy way to do this. If it sucks, I'm crossing it off my wishlist.  Undecided
Pete, I've used a Blichmann and the "ol' broken racking cane in the cobra tap" trick. Both dripped and were messy. The beer gun was a pain to setup, but once you got going it was OK... I guess. They both leak/drip, but at least the Blichmann has the ability to CO2 purge.  Tongue  I would never buy one though.

I also tried using one of those growler filler extender tubes you put in a perlick faucet. Holy crap was that a bad idea with my tower setup. Not nearly enough room under the tower to maneuver and I still got leaking.
aa7yy
Club Member
Plato Spaghetti

Don

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:31:23 AM »

I'll start off with I have never tried to fill bottles.

The flow control Perlicks sure make filling growlers easier. Can't help but think they would be better for bottles.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger - NHC 2012

The Search For The Perfect Pint Should Last a Lifetime
dale
Club Member
I gots no Life

Packer Owner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »

I agree, bottling is a pain in the ass.

The best way I've found to bottle from a keg is to jam a piece of hose, long enough to reach to the bottom of the bottle, on to the faucet. I've had the best luck with a small diameter hose that will fit tightly inside the faucet, although a fatter hose that fits outside works okay too. Bleed the pressure off of the keg until it has 2 or 3 pounds, adjust your regulator to the same, then fill away. I fill until the beer is at the top of the bottle, then when I pull it off of the hose, the head space is just about right. Cap right away.

Like Derek said, filling from a tower this way is a pain. I have some taps on the front door of a fridge that work well for this method since there is plenty of room below.

One other way -- I have one of those adjustable Guiness taps for nitro, it has a big knob on the back to adjust the flow. That works pretty well for filling a growler to go with minimal hassle. Just remove the restrictor screen, then dial it down and fill.

In dog beers, I've only had 1.

When in doubt, add more hops.
macabra11
Club Member
I gots no Life

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:05:17 AM »

The flow control Perlicks sure make filling growlers easier. Can't help but think they would be better for bottles.
That is actually a good idea to try.
aa7yy
Club Member
Plato Spaghetti

Don

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »

That is actually a good idea to try.
Yes, then you don't have to bleed the pressure off of the keg.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger - NHC 2012

The Search For The Perfect Pint Should Last a Lifetime
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: