Snake River Brewers - A Homebrew Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho
Snake River Brewers
A Homebrewing Club Serving Boise, Nampa, and the Treasure Valley of Idaho.
News: Yearly Dues have been set at $25.00. Pay with PayPal! 2017 dues are due in January, don't forget.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2018, 08:25:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to buy a pump  (Read 1304 times)
BroncoBob
Brewing Since 1996
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »

What is the advantage of a Center Inlet Pump over a Inline Inlet Pump?

1 - Chugger Stainless Steel Inline 1/2" Inlet Home Brewing Pump

2 - Chugger Stainless Steel Center Inlet Home Brewing Pump

Homebrewers Creed:

Relax, Don't Worry, Have Another HomeBrew!
dwarven_stout
Plato Spaghetti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:05:23 PM »

Is there actually an advantage? I always assumed it was just preference for the orientation.

Go here to see my latest attempt to make myself fat: http://acutecuisine.wordpress.com
dale
Club Member
I gots no Life

Packer Owner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 10:46:14 PM »

Is there actually an advantage? I always assumed it was just preference for the orientation.

I think that is correct. Either way, it's best to have the pump towards the bottom of your brewing system since they aren't self-priming, meaning you need to run some liquid into them before they will pump anything.

About the Chugger pumps... I had a March pump with the plastic head. I accidentally dropped it while cleaning up a couple of years ago and broke the inlet side. Since I needed a new pump, I bought the Chugger stainless inline head, which bolts right on to the March pump motor without any modification. I haven't been as happy with the Chugger head as I was with the March pump head. I get a lot more cavitation with the Chugger head and it doesn't handle nearly as much back-pressure as the March. Emails to Chugger about the cavitation problems have not been answered. On the other hand, it sure looks pretty! If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the high temp plastic March pump, like this one:

http://morebeer.com/products/march-high-temperature-brewing-pump-flow.html

This link to morebeer.com is just an example, I'm sure you can find the same pump cheaper elsewhere.

In dog beers, I've only had 1.

When in doubt, add more hops.
BroncoBob
Brewing Since 1996
Club Officer
Post Whore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »

I think that is correct. Either way, it's best to have the pump towards the bottom of your brewing system since they aren't self-priming, meaning you need to run some liquid into them before they will pump anything.

About the Chugger pumps... I had a March pump with the plastic head. I accidentally dropped it while cleaning up a couple of years ago and broke the inlet side. Since I needed a new pump, I bought the Chugger stainless inline head, which bolts right on to the March pump motor without any modification. I haven't been as happy with the Chugger head as I was with the March pump head. I get a lot more cavitation with the Chugger head and it doesn't handle nearly as much back-pressure as the March. Emails to Chugger about the cavitation problems have not been answered. On the other hand, it sure looks pretty! If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the high temp plastic March pump, like this one:

http://morebeer.com/products/march-high-temperature-brewing-pump-flow.html

This link to morebeer.com is just an example, I'm sure you can find the same pump cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks Steve....I will check it out.   Looking forward to adding some automation to my system....do away with most of the heavy lifting......

Homebrewers Creed:

Relax, Don't Worry, Have Another HomeBrew!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: